Wednesday 10 February 2010

Fun at work: about English in use and sex equality

I have to admit that since my company stopped using outsourced switchboard we are receiving curious phone calls. Some of them are just irritating but some of them provide a good laugh. My favourite ones recently:

Scene number one
The guy who called: Hyvää päivää, soitan... (A guy introducing himself in Finnish)
me: Aneeksi, en puhuu suomea (Sorry I don't speak Finnish)
the guy with an effort in English: Do... you ... speak English?
me: Yes
the guy: My name is X Y and I call from company Z. (quite smoothly until this point). Do you... er...umm... yyyy.... (thinking intensively)... Who is... er.... mmm... yyyyy.... er..... umm...... (thinking even more intensively).... umm... err... GOOD BUY!

Scene number two (my colleague answered)
Colleague: Good morning
Caller: Can I talk to the sales manager?
Colleague: Yes, it is Mss Magda X.
Caller: No, I want to talk with male manager.
Colleague: What's wrong with female manager?
Caller: beep... beep... (hung up)

No comments:

Post a Comment