Monday 13 September 2010

Diving and sporty elderly Finns

As I mentioned previously Finns are quite a sporty nation. Possibilities to join various sport clubs, hobby clubs are numerous when one just wants to do something. A while ago I had a chance to try diving, I liked it, therefore I thought that maybe I should make an Open Water Diver course. Especially that water in lakes was so warm. I thought that a chance that water will be so warm again during the summer is so small that I have to act now.
So one Tuesday in the end of July I decided to do this course. I got a book to prepare for the theory around 10 pm, read until 1 am, went to work next day and had a theoretical exam next day after work. Luckily I passed.

On Thursday I had first exercises in the swimming pool. Even though the water was 27 centigrades I had blue lips after two hours while other course participants were OK. All together I spent over 3 hours in the swimming pool and to be honest I was quite happy to get out of water and run to sauna.

In the changing room one lady, probably in her 70' asked me if I could help her out with applying moisturising lotion and we had a short chat. She was such a lovely, positive person that I felt like I wanted her to be my foster-granny. The point is though that despite her age she was still physically active, going to the swimming pool with her friend. And she was not the only older person in the pool and this is how I want to age - being physically and intellectually active.

I did all required open water dives and managed to finish my OWD course. I need to say that in comparison to most popular diving locations conditions for diving in Finnish lakes are relatively difficult: not such a great visibility, cold water and no colourful fish around. But then it is only easier to dive elsewhere :)

No comments:

Post a Comment