Wednesday 9 February 2011

Human sense of belonging

I might have mentioned that it might be difficult to get wild social life in Finland. It might be even difficult at times to get any social life at all... Anyway the sense of belonging to the community is sometimes missing for me as a foreigner. I try to ignore it but it comes back every now and then. I will always be somehow maladjusted. Anyway to prove myself at least somehow wrong I thought of going to the theatre. This thought has been hunting me for a while, so when some friends gave the idea of going to the theatre I was keen to give it a go.

We went to see "Borrowed tenor". The play was classic in a way that it built drama and funny situations around a big event when the main character of the event is failing to show up. Surprise number one was that I did actually understand what the actors were saying (good diction). Surprise number two: I did catch quite some jokes. Surprise number three: the sense of belonging suddenly arrived. It turned out that theatre is a place where the human feelings are the same and they are shown in the same manner in many parts of the globe. Suddenly I wasn't a foreigner in Finland, I was a human among people. I have experienced the same feelings while being in the theatre in Poland, Scotland and Finland. And this experience reminded me that wherever I am, I am still a human being, belonging to human race, with all its nasty and a bit better features. The play was good, the sense of belonging came back for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment