Friday 12 June 2009

There and back again

I have just returned from a work related trip to Poland. I just had to write down my impressions - could not resist!

It felt weird to be there. The weather was great (unlike in Finland) and I did not feel like coming back yet (quite exceptional). The atmosphere of the meeting was very positive and felt somewhat more European than Polish, despite mostly Polish was spoken. I would hope for Polish business to develop further in this direction. Business should be about win-win situation, fair play and "find solution" attitude rather than finding ways of "how can I trick them" or "I will promise more than I can actually do to get a better deal".

Each time I go back it is good to notice that the country is developing. The construction work is going on, the buildings are being renovated, roads' quality is improving. There are even attempts to improve railway connections which is close to a miracle ;)

Food suddenly felt very oily and rich in calories. This impression stems probably from eating very healthy, "no oil-lots of vegetables" food served at Finnish canteens. But even if rich in calories the food was delicious :D

The economy does not seem to be very heavily influenced by the crisis. Shops, streets, railway stations have been full of people hurrying somewhere. Some say that when the economy train has been started in Poland it is difficult to stop it. When Polish people have learned how to spend money they are not so willing to cut spendings. Therefore the consumer spendings keep the Polish economy rolling. Good for Poland!

Or maybe this positive impression stems from the cultural shock only :) I will check that out next time I visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment